[pdftex] Problems with microtypographic extensions (and specific older pdfTeX versions?)

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Aug 19 19:14:17 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 07:14 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hilmar Preusse wrote:
> >>the protrusion mechanisms have changed over time (first very
> >>experimental, then less experimental but as part of thanh's phd
> >>thesis work, after that it changed due to soem conslusions based on
> >>research, and recently it has reached a mature stage.
> >
> >Read: at this time the protrusion was a very experimental feature and
> >using low level commands (like the submitter did) was already
> >deprecated at this time, right?
> >So we'll close that bug telling the submitter exactly that.
>
> indeed
>
> Hans
If the low level commands are deprecated, then what should one
use in plain pdftex? I can get optical alignment AKA protruding
characters to work with statements like;

\rm
\pdfprotrudechars=2
\input protcode.tex
\setprotcode\font

I use
pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
kpathsea version 3.5.4

If there is a better way to do either character protrusion or
expanded characters what document should I consult? I use
the Pdftex User Manual Rev. 1.595 dated April 22, 2005 and the
Han The Thanh dissertation dated October 2000. Obviously I slept
through some important change on the expansion side (which I
could never get working.) So wake me up and point me to the
current gospel, please.
--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: