[pdftex] CMR10 loaded too early ?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Aug 7 09:10:42 CEST 2005

Hi all.

I'm trying to add /ToUnicode  CMAP resources to the fonts in a document
created using  pdfLaTeX by loading the  cmap.sty  package.
This works for most fonts and encodings, and I've written  oms.cmap
and oml.cmap for math-symbols, and ot1.cmap for standard tex using OT1
encoding.

The OT1 works fine with CMR12 and CMR17 fonts, but there is a problem
associating the CMAP resource to CMR10.

I think the reason for this is that information about CMR10 is loaded
*too soon*; i.e. before cmap.sty can be loaded, and so before the need
for a CMAP resource is known.
This could be due to coding normally precompiled into the .fmt file.

Has anyone encountered this issue before ?
Is there an easy way to overcome this ?
e.g.
is there a way to tell pdfTeX either to *not* load CMR10 early,
or to unload it once loaded, so that it can be reloaded afresh later
along with the /ToUnicode reference ?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

     Ross