[pdftex] Man page for pdftosrc

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Aug 3 22:02:31 CEST 2005

  > On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 09:40:44AM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
  >> the pdftosrc program included in pdftex has no documentation so
  >> far.  A year ago, Hilmar Preusse has started to write one and
  >> asked on this list about comments on his draft, but unfortunately
  >> nobody stepped up to have a look at it.

  > Since AR 7/Linux and AR 6/Other, attachted files (see attachfile
  > package) can be extracted by normal user without the need of
  > special programs.  Therefore I would consider pdftosrc obsolete
  > for the purpose of attaching and extracing files.

Hi Heiko,
there are many reasons not to regard pdftosrc as obsolete.

Adobe does not support all platforms, so there are many people who have
to use xpdf instead.  AR 7/Linux requires that people have a recent
libc installed, which is not always the case.

AR 7/Linux is obviously designed for a future generation of CPUs.
It is cowardly slow and I know people who refuse to use it.  Hence,
a command-line tool is quite useful.

I hope that TeX distributions will keep pdftosrc for a while and I'm
very grateful that Hilmar wrote a manual page.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25