[pdftex] Proposal for new feature.

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Apr 13 15:57:38 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 08:15 am, holop ferenc wrote:
> hmm, John R. Culleton said that
>
> > to teach about TeX yet initially hide the command line interface, which
> > is for some reason viewed with great fear by the current
>
> i am sorry to butt in, i didn't really follow the thread.
>
> these programs are not command line switch heavy, so why not make "file
> associations" or any other kind of "double click" solutions...  in any
> kind of system you could just point at the source file and let the
> system run whichever tex is good for you.  CLI hidden, user happy.
>
> -f
Interesting point. But circumstances vary. How would the OS
determine whether plain Tex, or plain pdftex or even Context was
appropriate? (I can run all three against the same source file.)

Since I don't work in the world of "doubleclick" I can't answer
this from my own knowledge.

Also, Context at least is "command switch heavy." Granted this
is not beginner level stuff. But I hope to lead my audience to
the intricacies of Context later on.

However I will cross over to the Dark Side, double click on a
few files, and see what transpires.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters