[pdftex] Re: Getting Acrobat Reader to refresh like Xpdf

Marco Loskamp loskamp at math.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 22 14:25:03 CEST 2004

> From: John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>
> Subject: [pdftex] Getting Acrobat Reader to refreah like Xpdf
> [...]
> page number. Acrobat Reader, the alternative to xpdf for Windows users,
> won't refresh. As an inferior subsitute one could I suppose fire it up and
> ask it to open at a given page number. But I don't know how to do that.
> Does anyone?

You can press either <ALT>-<Left> or <CTRL>-<Left> after pressing <CTRL>-w
to close the Acrobat Window.

I'm pdfTeXing the same way as you do: using GVim, running pdfTeX from the
gvim command line. I can tell it's a pain, because you always have to close
the PDF document (not the entire reader program) using <CTRL>-w, then run
pdfTeX, then press <Enter> within gvim [optional], then <ALT>-<TAB> to
change into the AR window, then press <ALT>-<Left> (or <CTRL>-Left) to
refresh the old page you were last at.

But well, after you've done that some tens of times, you'll get used to it ;-)
It does at least work.

[I know that this may not be an immediate pdfTeX issue, but I was close to
using anything other than pdfTeX where the editing process was more convenient.
If anything, I hope that devoted pdfTeXers won't be thrown off by this refresh
problem!]

Marco