[pdftex] Re: pdfcprot maintainership

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Sep 12 04:05:04 CEST 2004

>>>>> "Morten" == Morten Høgholm <moho01ab at student.cbs.dk> writes:

    > Of possible interest:
    > <http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/microtype>

A few years a go I noticed that character protrusion doesn't work for
the first character of a paragraph.

This seems not to be a great problem, maybe nobody except me noticed
this, but there will be a problem if incidentally the same character
appears at the beginning of the second line of the same paragraph.

I suppose that character protrusion is performed when tex breaks
paragraphs into lines.  This is not done at the beginning of a
paragraph and might be the reason it doesn't work here.

As a quick fix Thanh proposed to use \everypar because the problem was
not on top of his priority list.

Though one can implement a fix for this problem using \everypar, I
don't think that it is very reliable in LaTeX.  The problem is not
LaTeX itself but the vast amount of macro packages flying around.

A real fix is absolutely not trivial.  A lot of nasty things might
happen at the beginning if a paragraph.

I hope that this problem will not be forgotten, if there is a TODO
file in the pdftex sources, it would be nice if someone could mention
it there.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25