[pdftex] pdfcprot maintainership

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Sep 10 00:23:45 CEST 2004

    > Hi all, some of you may know the pdfcprot package which I
    > implemented to simplify the loading of appropriate
    > configurations for the character protrusion feature of pdftex.

I just looked into the docs.  Well, I thought that I never need pk
fonts in the future and deleted them all.  When I compiled pdfcprot.dtx
the ec fonts had been re-created again and it looks quite nasty in
acroread.  Since the documentation is in English, you don't need T1
encoding.  You would get better results if you omit the line

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

in pdfprot.dtx.

I wonder what the "pdf" in pdfcprot stands for.  For pdftex or for
pdf output?

If it stands for pdftex, I'd like to mention that in the near future
both, latex and pdflatex will actually be pdfelatex in web2c based
distributions, anyway.  That means that people who call latex will get
pdfelatex with \pdfoutput=0.

If it stands for pdf output you should know that character protrusion
even works if you tell pdftex to produce dvi.

Thus I think it's better to choose a name which people can remember.
I personally would prefer charprot over pdfcprot.  And today there is
no need to limit the name to 8 chars any more.

    > To make it short, we even have to new maintainers now:

    > 	Baden Hughes and Tobias Schlemmer.

How can people contact them?  My suggestion is that they subscribe to
the tex-fonts mailing list.  There is not much traffic.  And there are
the people who care about good typography.  I think that the
maintainers get good feedback there.  Well, however you decide, it
should be mentioned in the .dtx file, and their email adresses as
well.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25