[pdftex] supertabular inside float

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 28 14:16:55 CEST 2004

> Is it possible to use a supertabular across many pages inside a table (fl=
> oat) environment?

no.

> I tried something like this (and some variations as well) but it doesn't =
> seem to work?
> \begin{table}[htb]
> \caption{Compara=E7=E3o entre os tipos de STP's}
>   \centering
>   \footnotesize
>   \begin{supertabular}[t]{|p{2.0cm}|p{6.5cm}|p{6.5cm}|}
>   \label{comparacao_tipos}=20
> \hline
> TIPO & VANTAGENS & DESVANTAGENS\\
> \hline
> =2E
> \hline
> %
> \end{supertabular}
> \end{table}
>
> Any help would be Great. Thanks.

the table environment is a box whose maximum coverage is supposed to
be one page.  (you get complaints if the box is too big.)

so you can't float the thing; the best you can do is put an artificial
caption at the top (using something like capt-of.sty, or perhaps
something grander), and just let it do its own flowing from page to
page.

in fact, of course, longtable is designed to behave just like this; it
even goes so far as to have its own built-in caption command.