[pdftex] Updating pdftex 1.20a on tetex FC3

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Sat Nov 13 23:08:16 CET 2004

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 09:29:44PM +0100, Quy NGUYEN DAI wrote:
> files into /usr/share/texmf/web2c/ and rebuild fmt with command
> "fmtutil --byfmt" for pdftex pdfetex pdflatex & pdfelatex. All seem ok

The internals of pdftex have been changed. Font encoding files are
searched along a new search path which should be set up in texmf.cnf.
Font map files are now searched along a different path. Variable
settings that match the texmf tree of teTeX-2.0 are:
  ENCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/dvips//
  TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{dvips//,fontname}
(ENCFONTS is a new variable, TEXFONTMAPS exists and must be changed).

The new pdftex no longer reads a config file. For the upcoming teTeX-3.0
I have changes all .ini files so that a pdftexconfig.tex file with common
settings are dumped into the frmat files:

pdftexconfig.tex:
  \pdfoutput=1
  \pdfpagewidth=210 true mm
  \pdfpageheight=297 true mm
  \pdfpkresolution=600
  \endinput

latex.ini:
  % Thomas Esser, 1998, 2004. public domain.
  \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined
  \else
    \ifx\pdfoutput\relax
    \else
      \input pdftexconfig
      \pdfoutput=0
    \fi
  \fi

  \scrollmode
  \input latex.ltx
  \endinput

An adjusted texconfig no longer writes changes to pdftex.cfg, but to
pdftexconfig.tex instead.

So, all in all, using a new pdftex requited quite some changes to your
teTeX-2.0 system. Switching to the latest beta release of teTeX (2.99.3)
might be a lot easier...

Thomas