[pdftex] PdfTeX and SVG graphics

Ben Crowell pdftexcrowell04 at lightandmatter.com
Sat Nov 13 06:56:54 CET 2004

I've spent some time trying various methods of converting SVG to PDF,
and so far the results are pretty discouraging.

Batik:
Only generates bitmapped PDFs.
Output is sometimes not readable in AR.
Changes fonts into an ugly, bold font.
Sometimes messes up arrows (loses arrowheads).

Inkscape:
0.38 exports PS that ghostscript chokes on.
0.38 Can't handle SVG files with bitmapped graphics embedded in them.
0.39 doesn't run on FreeBSD, so I haven't been able to try it.
0.40 is supposed to fix the problem with FreeBSD, but isn't out yet.

Scribus:
Can't handle SVG files with bitmapped graphics embedded in them.
Converts all fonts to a monospaced font.
Gradients are lost on export to PDF.
Doesn't seem scriptable.

Skencil:
Can't input gradients correctly.