[pdftex] Embedding Base14 fonts

Ulrich Dirr ud at art-satz.de
Sun Mar 28 13:26:56 CEST 2004

Martin Schröder wrote:
> On 2004-03-28 00:38:03 +0100, Ulrich Dirr wrote:
>> In my pdftex.cfg I put 'map +ps35uli.map' which contains entries
like
>> 'phvr8r Helvetica "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc >
>> <hv______.pfb'.
>
> [...]
>
>> tells me that pdftex reads ps35uli.map but doesn't include the
fonts.

> Because pdfTeX will never embed the Base14 fonts, and it
> recognises them by their names in the maps. You have to rename
> your Helvetica to something different (like MyHelvectia).

BTW I did know that already because I cited in my first email the
docs:
"Note that the standard 14 fonts are never downloaded, even when they
are specified to be downloaded in map files."

> Recent teTeXs have an option for updmap for this.

Aha!

Thomas Esser wrote:
> Omit the second field "Helvetica" or make it invalid
>   phvr8r "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <hv______.pfb
>   phvr8r HelveticaFoo "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
> <hv______.pfb
>
> There is some code in pdfTeX which does not embed the font,
> if the psname matches one of the Base14:
>
> mapfile.c:
>         for (i = 0; i < 14; i++)
>             if (strcmp(basefont_names[i], fm_ptr->ps_name) == 0)
>                 break;
>
> How about disabling this?

Thank you very much for this information!

Ok, now my second question is answered. But as Thomas Esser seconds me
with his question I would like to get an answer to my first question.

I cite myself again honestly:
>> Is there any good reason why pdftex patronizes me (I really can't
Or to be more precise, why are the base 14 fonts an exception for the
'<' and '<<' instructions? Why should I be forced to use a clone font
even if I own the original?

Best regards,
Ulrich Dirr