[pdftex] controlling a4/letter from tex?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Mar 18 23:35:59 CET 2004

Hi Karl,

On 19/03/2004, at 8:36 AM, Karl Berry wrote:

> This seems like it is probably a FAQ, but I could not find any Q (or
> A).
>
> For pdftex, is it possible to control the final page size from within
> TeX?
> Or is it necessary to set page_width and page_height in pdftex.cfg?
>
> Setting \pdfpagewidth and \pdfpageheight made no difference.  (This is
> plain TeX document, namely, the TUG membership form at
> http://tug.org/forms/current/memberapp.tex.)

Since this document handles the \shipout itself,
viz.
		\shipout\box\mybox

all you need to do is adjust the \ht \wd and \dp of
the \box\mybox , and perhaps adjust the \voffset and \hoffset
to position the contents appropriately.

In pdftex the \pdfpagewidth  and  \pdfpageheight  set
the /MediaBox (I think), whereas the /ArtBox or /CropBox have
a greater effect on what you see on-screen in a PDF browser.
That is, changes to \pdfpagewidth  and  \pdfpageheight  may
affect *where* the contents occur on the paper, when you print
the PDF, but need not affect what you see on-screen.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114