[pdftex] How to set Right Edge binding attribute in pdfLaTeX?

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Mar 6 21:21:02 CET 2004

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> This is a quick hack:
>
>     http://ms25.ath.cx/r2l.sty.gz

Thank you, it works. I added it and also added your name to the list of
acknowledgements in the Introduction (but the new tnk.pdf is not uploaded
yet because quite a few fixes are in the pipeline). Thanks for your help!

I posted a question on comp.text.tex asking about the following problem
that nobody commented on:

How to typeset 9 "spaces" (well, by "space" I mean space of length 1ex in
a given font)  in such a way that TeX may introduce linebreaks if needed
(i.e. will NOT push the previous text on a line into the margin which will
happen if I just do \hskip9ex). And also, if a linebreak was introduced
then I want the following line indented (say by 2ex) even if 9ex fitted
nicely at the end of the previous line, so it would look like (in right to
left mode, i.e. read the lines from right to left):

         xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

or, if no linebreaks were introduced, like this:

xxxxx         xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

or, if 9ex didn't fit at the end of first line, the the distance between
the end of the first and the beginning of the next should be _exactly_
9ex, i.e. the next line pushed forward accordingly:

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Any ideas? I currently use a sequence of space and \mbox{} but this is
wrong, i.e. not quite the correct solution to the above problem (e.g. it
does no indenting when the spaces fill the first line to the end).

I forgot to say that all this happens in one paragraph, i.e. like:

some text
\csec
some more text

(maybe I should put '%' after \csec or it should somehow "eat" the extra
space due to newline automatically)

Kind regards
Tigran