[pdftex] How to set Right Edge binding attribute in pdfLaTeX?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Mar 6 19:57:27 CET 2004

    > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
    >> I just tested it with all the ghostscript versions I have
    >> installed.  It only works with versions 8.11, 8.12, 8.13 and
    >> 8.14.

    > Thank you, I upgraded gs to the latest and pdfopt now works
    > fine.

    > And your other advice (wrt Type3->Type1 conversion) also worked
    > fine, so I switched to Type1 fonts (the new tnk.pdf in
    > http://www.moses.uklinux.net/pdf/bible is using only Type1
    > fonts).

The difference is quite amazing.

To come back to your original question, Right Edge binding is not yet
supported by hyperref.  It was not so easy to find out what what do to
make it work because the PDF reference manual neither contains the
string "left edge" nor "binding".

This is a quick hack:

    http://ms25.ath.cx/r2l.sty.gz

(if your browser complains, try wget.)

\usepackage[<options>]{hyperref}
\usepackage{r2l}

r2l.sty patches hpdftex.def.  But be aware that it is a quick hack.
It is better if Heiko adds a new option to hyperref.  Remove the file
as soon as possible, it will clash with future versions of
hpdftex.def. Or add the line \ifnum\year>2004 \typeout{KILL ME}\fi .

With this patch I get "Binding: Right Edge" in
"File->Document Properties->Summary" (AR 5.04).

If I select "View->Continuous - Facing" I get pages arranged like this:

[page 1]
[page 3][page 2]
[page 5][page 4]
        [page 6]

I hope that this is what you want.

Heiko, I added "/Direction /R2L" to the /ViewerPreferences dictionary
as described on page 214 of the PDF refman v1.4.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25