[pdftex] hsize inaccurate

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 29 12:19:03 CEST 2004

> Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>
> >acrocr at p reader does this -- if you have "fit to page" (or equivalent)
> >checked in printing options, it changes the size of your output even
> >if it would happily fit on the paper in the printer.
> >
> >this is a ***bug*** in acrocr at p which idiot adobe insist is a feature.
>

> the "scaling to fit to page" *print* option takes the printer
> characteristics (as communicated by the operating system) into
> account; many printers have a so called non printable area (often
> about .5cm); the reason for this is a that ink or toner ending up
> outside the paper can (will) mess up the printer; since the scaling
> feature is related to printing, it's indeed a feature and not a bug;
> if your pages are filled to the edge it's better to have them
> printed slighty smaller than to end up with unreadable pages (web
> browsers' print engines tend to produce such pages)

i suppose we must agree to differ here.  acrocr at p reader knows where
the document is going to print -- in the case of typical
(la)tex/context documents, nowhere near the physical edge of the paper
-- but _still_ shrinks the document to fit the white margins onto the
printable area of the page.

of course, as far as adobe is concerned, the reference implementation
of an acrobat handler is their stupid reader.  so if you produce a
reader that fails to behave stupidly, it's not "standard conformant".

at least they now allow us to set no shrink via the command line (in
5.0.8 on linux, possibly also in the appalling 6.* on widnoze and
macs).

robin