[pdftex] Could not open char translation file `cp8bit.tcx' (pdfetex 1.11a-2.1)

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jun 29 10:17:49 CEST 2004

Gerolf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in section 5.7, the MikTeX 2.0 manual says:
>
> "TCX files are searched for along the TCXPath path. INITEX ignores TCX
> files."
>
> So I've defined a $TCXPath environment variable and created a
> corresponding folder and copied 'cp8bit.tcx' into it.
>
> Having installed the pdfetex 1.11a-2.1 binary for linux-i386 (and
> string pool) from TeXlive, I get a
>
> "warning: Could not open char translation file `cp8bit.tcx'."
>
> during *initex* run.
>
> In the same installation, this did not happen with pdfetex 1.10b-2.1,
> and it does not happen with the
>
> pdfetex 1.11a-2.1 static Win32 binary from TeXlive.
>
> What's wrong? And which command do I have to add to 'texmf.cnf' to
> disable character translation?

i don't know how close miktex follows web2c but i was told that there is  (and will be) no tcxpath (just a web2c path); so is there a web2c path in your miktex?

concerning initex: recent pdftex's (and metapost) are supposed to preload the given tcx vector (so the mapping ends up in the format)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE