[pdftex] Problem with hlines in pdftex

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Jun 25 15:14:46 CEST 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>    > The real problem is that the rules should be drawn later (e.g.,
>    > on top of) the the color fill rectangles.  A "solution" is to
>    > create the table twice, first just a "background" with the color
>    > fill rectangles and then an overlay with the lines and text.
>
> Do the rules and rectangles overlap?  If not, I don't see any reason
> to change the order in which they are displayed.

Because you can't be sure how the edge pixels are rendered for rules
and filled rectangles.  Some interpreters may adjust the location of
rules in order to better approximate the width of a stroked line.

My proposed "solution" does sometimes give 1-pixel width areas
that are uncolored, but these are not nearly as noticeable as the
effect we are trying to avoid, and you have the possibility of
slightly enlarging the filled areas to eliminate the problem.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
   Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada