[pdftex] support for svg

story at uakron.edu story at uakron.edu
Sun Jun 20 22:58:13 CEST 2004

In the PDF spec, Section 9.4 covers Alternate Representations and there is an
outlined example of use.  The only application that I know of is Adobe Photoshop Album, you
can create a slideshow presentation and save it to a PDF doc.

Leonard Rosenthol, of PDFSages, announced a SVG plugin available for the free download,
you must have Acrobat 6.0.  I've tried it and it works  well.  It turns out you only need acrobat
to embed the svg, someone with adobe reader 6.0 can view the svg without the plug-in.
See http://www.planetpdf.com/mainpage.asp?webpageid=3250

dps

On 20 Jun 2004 at 21:15, Hans Hagen Outside wrote:

> wrobell wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >PDF file with embedded SVG
> >
> >    http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/us_population/us_population.pdf
> >
> >can be viewed with Acrobat Reader 6.x.
> >
> >Is it possible to create such PDF file with pdftex?
> >
> >Any hints?
> >

> I picked up that file and it seems that there is some new annotation
> subtype svg. So, once we can reverse engineer its characteristics it's
> trivial for pdftex to do the same. The danger is in changing specs.
>
> \def\SVGimage#1#2#3% name width height
>    {\immediate \pdfobj {(#1)}%
>     \edef\SVGname{\the\pdflastobj\space0 R }%
>     \immediate \pdfobj stream attr {/Type /EmbeddedFile
> /Subtype/image#232Fsvg#232Bxml} file {#1}%
>     \edef\SVGfile{\the\pdflastobj\space0 R }%
>     \immediate \pdfobj {<</Type/Filespec /F \SVGname /EF <</F \SVGfile>>
>  >>}%
>     \edef\SVGspec{\the\pdflastobj\space0 R }%
>     \vbox to #3{\vss\hbox to #2{\pdfannot width #2 height #3
>       {/F 4
>        /H /P
>        /Type /Annot
>        /FT /Btn
>        /Resources <</Names[\SVGname \SVGspec]>>
>        /Subtype /SVG
>        /T \SVGname
>        /Ff 65536
>        /TU \SVGname
>        % /MK << /BG [1 1 1] /CA (Play) >>
>        /StartResource \SVGname}\hss}}}
>
> SVG image: \vskip1cm \SVGimage{ausmap.svg}{10cm}{10cm}
>
> So te big question is: what are the formal specs (some mix between
> native SVG annots and buttons and resources; smells messy; i'd expect
> svg to be supported by the new multimedia features) -)
>
> Hans

Dr. D. P. Story / Dept. of Theoretical and Applied Mathematics / The University of Akron /
Akron, OH 44325 / dpstory at uakron.edu /
Personal URL: http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dpstory/
AcroTeX Web Site: http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dpstory/acrotex.html