[pdftex] ratty fonts when importing pdftex output into Windows Journal

Cliff Bergman cbergman at iastate.edu
Fri Jun 18 17:10:07 CEST 2004

--On Friday, June 18, 2004 01:28:44 AM +0200 Reinhard Kotucha
<reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

>     > However, I recently upgraded linux, and along with it, pdftex,
>     > which went from version 1.00b-pretest-20020211 to version
>     > 1.10b. Using this new version, the fonts (in windows journal)
>     > look very ragged, [...]
>
> Do you still have a PDF file produced by the old version?  It would be
> nice if you could provide a PDF file produced by the old version and
> one produced by the new one.

Thank you very much for trying to help me. I've put together a pretty
minimal example of the difference the two versions of pdftex create. The
directory http://orion.math.iastate.edu/cbergman/pdftest/
contains two subdirectories: pdftex1.00b and pdftex1.10b. Each contains a
pdf file  created by that version of pdftex. Each also contains a windows
journal file (extension .jnt) created from the corresponding pdf file.

Please note that the pdf files both look fine. It is only the journal files
that look different. To view the journal files you will need Microsoft's
proprietary (surprise, surprise) journal viewer, which is available from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fad44098-8b73-4e06
-96d4-d1eb70eacb44&DisplayLang=en. It is free.

I did notice one difference in the pdf files myself. pdftex1.00b produces a
pdf file conforming to pdf-1.3, while pdftex1.10b conforms to pdf-1.4. Is
there a way to tell pdftex1.10b to output code in pdf-1.3 format?

Cliff Bergman
Department of Mathematics
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011