[pdftex] Incredibly PDF filesize difference by pdflatex compared to ps2pdf

Hans Hagen Outside pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Jun 17 10:13:19 CEST 2004

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>    > Minion-Pro is an OTF font, no? If used as such in pdftex, it
>    > will be included without any subsetting nor reinterpretation.
>
>It is a subset.  I wonder whether an external program is able to
>perform subsetting.  Only TeX knows which glyphs are needed, so
>subsetting cannot be done by an external program.

you can use gs to convert pdf to pdf and then subsetting can be turned
on; i don't know how well this works for embedded fonts; e.g. i can even
imagine embedded fonts with similar names but different glyphs so any
merge of them could mean troubles

>Isn't Minion a multiple master font so that the program mminstance has
>to be used?

indeed, currently at least on windows the those tools are broken, and since such a mm font seldom ship with all the files needed (extra afm files) it's a messy job/area

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE