[pdftex] [pdftex-1.11b] no pdfinitex file is build

Karl-Heinz Zimmer khz at kde.org
Wed Jun 9 00:58:20 CEST 2004

Am Dienstag, 8. Juni 2004 23:00 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
(...)
> If you succeed, it's best to compile pdfetex as well and install it
> (and pdfetex.pool) in the same manner.
>
> Then run
>
> texconfig init
>
> which (re)generates all format files as defined in fmtutil.cnf .

Hi Reinhard,

I followed all this advise but could not get it to run.  In the end
used "prm" and I removed the complete tetex installation from my
SuSE Linux.

Then I took the TEX COLLECTION CD and installed a default system.

Now I compiled pdftex again aid copied pdftex, pdfetex, and both
.pool files over to their destination - simply overwriting the
files that came with on the CD.

So now I have 11b instead of 11a.

When now running "texconfig init" I get an impressive number of
output lines, no errors until at the very end:

install_link failed for /usr/TeX/bin/i386-linux/mf. File already exists.

I guess, I can ignore this error, right?  I have this file:

- -rwxr-xr-x   1 (...) 233932 2003-09-22 00:52 /usr/TeX/bin/i386-linux/mf

Besides from this, I suppose my setup is still incomplete, because
I could not test this file:
\font\f=cmr10
\pdffontexpand\f 20 20 5 autoexpand

Lore ipsum ...
\bye

Running pdftex on it I get this:
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.11b (Web2C 7.5.2)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
 (/usr/TeX/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)
(./test1.tex{/usr/TeX/texmf-var/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}
Babel <v3.7j> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang,
nohyphenation, basque, czech, slovak, german, ngerman, spanish,
catalan, french, ukenglish, italian, dutch, polish, portuguese, loaded.
! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
l.2 \pdffontexpand\f 20 20 5 a
                              utoexpand
?

That's the sample from Thanh's mail:
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/pdftex/2004-May/004965.html

Might it be that it can not run with version 11b but I should
rather get this?  http://vntex.sourceforge.net/private/thanh/pdftex/

Karl-Heinz
- --
Karl-Heinz         <mailto:khz at indeview.org>        <mailto:khz at kde.org>
  Zimmer                I n d e V i e w                    K D E
  Föhren       Presentations Beyond Limitations     Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de            www.indeview.org                www.kde.org