[pdftex] FORMS of hyperref only work with Acrobat Professional ??

TW Ma twma at maths.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jan 17 04:43:04 CET 2004

I have done         testform.tex---->testform.pdf
with pdflatex by miktex on window-2000.

When I click the text-field, I got an error message: Adobe Reader does not
save the data (see the end of this email). I tried to contact
Acrobat-Professional for advice but could not find the email address from
their site. Be very grateful if somebody could help before I decide to
purchase Acrobat-Professional.

Questions:

a) Should I use Acrobat-Professional to process testform.pdf ?
Could version-5 do this job? Or must be version-6??
Is there any command in pdf-Latex similar to something like

        \usepackage{acrobatProfessional}

b) Should the viewers (Clients) have a copy of acrobat-Professional instead
of the free copy of acrobatReader in order to send data to me? This is my
interpretation of the error message. In this case, the application of
pdf-forms would be very restrictive.

c) Hyperref has been around for many years. What is the easiest way to pass
data from   testform.pdf to the action-file: abcxyz.php?? Related pointers
to examples would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.   twma at maths.uwa.edu.au

-------------------------------

>hyperref/test/testform.tex

-------------------------------

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[bookmarks=false]{hyperref}
\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
\setlength{\parskip}{10pt}
\begin{document}
\begin{Form}[action=abcxyz.php, method=post]
         %% only minor change from the original version

\TextField[width=3in,name=xname,value={Bilbo Baggins}]
    {Full name:  }

\Submit{Send}
\Reset{Clear}

\end{Form}
\end{document}

Adobe Reader does not save the data that you enter into form fields. When
you've completed this form, you may be able to submit it for further
processing or print it. To save the data you enter into the form fields,
please complete the form using Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional or Adobe
Acrobat 6.0 Standard, or later instead of Adobe Reader.