[pdftex] CMYK images in pdftex.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Feb 20 22:33:59 CET 2004

On Friday 20 February 2004 02:59 pm, Harald Hanche-Olsen
wrote:
> + John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>:
> | SO: how does one get to a pdftex document with color
> | photos in cmyk form embedded?
>
> Find a program which will convert your photos to pdf and
> include those directly.  E.g., with imagemagick:
>
>   convert FILE.tiff epdf:FILE.pdf
>
> (the epdf: prefix is necessary to get a pdf document with
> appropriate bounding boxes).

nteresting. I took a picture an scned it onto a
file called dogs.pnm. Then I converted that to tiff
with the statement
pnmtotiff -none dogs.pnm>dogs.tiff
and then ran
convert dogs.tiff dogs.pdf

All of this was successful (after I recompiled and
reinstalled the netpbm package).  I then viewed the
resulting dogs.pdf file in three different pdf viewers
on my Linux desktop. The colors were quite different!
Acrobat reader 5.05  showed a faded and grayish image.
Xpdf and Kpdf showed much brighter colors, even
brighter than the original pnm file when viewed in
Kview.

The final appearance when embedded in a pdftex or Context
document and actually printed is at this point
unknowable.

Also unknown is whether or not the pdf file at this point
is truly in CMYK color scheme or if the last
conversion has switched it back again.

John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers
http://wexfordpress.com