[pdftex] How to get pdflatex to embed and subset ALL fonts?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Feb 18 14:07:30 CET 2004

At 05:54 18/02/2004, Jeffrey McArthur wrote:

>I know we would have lost the contract if we tried to either install the
>full TeX installation on the local PC or put it on their network. (The IT
>guys did not like us.)

when an it department is like that i'd walk out; on the other hand they
must be brilliant if they manage to limit the installation of their
prefered os and wordprocessor to some 10 files too

>I still have a copy somewhere of what I called "Tiny TeX". It was based on
>the old emTeX version. All of the files fit on a 1.44 Meg floppy,
>uncompressed, with actually a little room left over. You could run TeX, the
>DVI viewer, and even print. Your choice of fonts was very restricted. But
>you could actually run TeX from the floppy.

hm, hardly sufficient to make nice documents i guess

>We usually use InstallShield to create our installs.  InstallShield has a
>limitation of something like 65,000 files. (I remember a discussion about
>that and FpTeX.) You have to jump through a lot of hoops to create a full
>TeX installation on the PC using InstallShield. We don't go to the trouble.
>We only put the files we need in the install.

the solution could be to run directly from the iso image copied to disk,
i.e. that is just one file from their perspective but the whole tree from yours

Hans

(i realize that i'm kind of lucky, one of our recent xml/pdf projects for a
publisher runs on a couple of big and powerful dedicated tex servers in
their network tagged as 'context servers')

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE/POD/CTS