[pdftex] Corrupted PDF including JPGs

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Wed Feb 18 13:10:43 CET 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Antonio Gulli wrote:

> Hello, i need to include some jpgs in my latex code. Therefore, i decide
> to switch to pdflatex which is included in my miktex distribution (just
> updated). The problem is the whenever i include a jpeg the resulting pdf
> code is corrupeted (reading with acrobad reader 6.0). I use winedt as
> shell on windows xp.
>
> Any suggestion to debug or to solve the problem?

Pdftex is not an image processing tool, so it is not wise to rely on the
ability to import any format other than pdf (and metapost PS, which is
close enough to pdf that the translation is reliable).  Even for the
formats that are "supported", not all files will be handled correctly due
to limitations of the libraries used to build pdftex.

There are many tools to convert images to pdf, and these tools are used by
a much larger community than uses pdftex, so they tend to be more robust
and able to handle a wider range of images.  If you don't alread have
such a tool, try ImageMagick.

When you encounter a problem with pdftex it is wise to check that you
are using a recent version (e.g., 1.11).

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
  Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada