[pdftex] How to get pdflatex to embed and subset ALL fonts?

Elzbieta Roszkowska ekr at pwr.wroc.pl
Sat Feb 14 07:48:53 CET 2004

Hello!

Please take a look below. This is an excerpt from the IEEE Xplore requirements
for preparing a conference paper to be included in their archives (for those
who don't know, the IEEE is a mighty international society of Electric and
Electronic Engineers):

"The most important issue that every author shall pay attention to is to
make sure that all the fonts used in your papers are EMBEDDED and
SUBSETTED, especially for papers from Asia and Europe. The "IEEE PDF
File Preparation Guide for IEEE Xplore" details the steps for you to
check and to make sure that all fonts used are embedded and subsetted.
Failure to embed and subset fonts is the biggest obstacle to PDF
compliance with IEEE Xplore and please make sure that your PDF files are
compliant with IEEE Xplore. Papers failing to meet the IEEE Xplore PDF
requirements may be rejected."

In fact, as I've learnt lately, papers failing to meet these not only MAY but
WILL be rejected. In spite of all my efforts I can't get pdflatex to embed
Times* and Courier fonts. I have a feeling that it can't be done at all (?),
as they are among the 14 standard fonts required to be available in all PDF
viewer applications. Thus there was simply no need for such an option.
Am I right?

If no, then how can I embed+subset all fonts??? It's urgent!  Thanks in
advance!

If yes, then in view of the IEEE Xplore requirements, the creators of pdflatex
might like (and are kindly requested! ) to think of introducing that option.

Elzbieta Roszkowska