[pdftex] Math and bold fonts in pdf bookmarks

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Feb 4 15:05:14 CET 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:25:41PM -0500, Fred Wong wrote:

> I'm new with pdftex and I'm a bit lost in the documentations on pdf
> encoding and user macros. Can anyone show me how to generate bookmarks
> for the following section headings which contain math and bold fonts:
>
> \section{Numerical Singularity When $\pi_s=0$}
> \section{Columns of $[{\bf b},{\bf A}_2]$ Linearly Dependent}
>
> I've searched through the archive and know that I need to use
> \textorpdstring{TEXstring}{PDFstring}. However, my TEXstrings contain
> characters that seem to be outside the list of supported PD1 encoded
> equivalents (found in pd1enc.def). I've also tried turning on the
> Unicode option for the hyperref package, and it doesn't seem to work.

TeX math is not supported. The "unicode" option of hyperref only
supports some greek, kyrillic, and some special glyphs.

Example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[unicode]{hyperref}
\begin{document}
\tableofcontents
\section{%
    Numerical Singularity When %
    \texorpdfstring{$\pi_s=0$}{\textpi\_s=0}%
}
\section{%
    Columns of %
    \texorpdfstring{$[{\bf b},{\bf A}_2]$}{[b, A\_2]} %
    Linearly Dependent%
}
\end{document}

Yours sincerely