[pdftex] swf objects in pdflatex

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Dec 30 10:30:49 CET 2004

Peter Schröder wrote:

> Does anyone have experience (success or horror stories) regarding the
> inclusiong of flash content in pdf files?

   http://www.pragma-ade.com/itdemos/internal/media/mediashow.pdf

it runs ok in acrobat 6, but somehow not in (at least my installation of)
acrobat 7, so there is some horror story attached: my experience is that much of
this functionality in acrobat ends up in there untested (I will look into a 'way
around 7' later)

this is the source file:

<?xml version='1.0' ?>

<!-- Author : Hans Hagen / PRAGMA ADE / www.pragma-ade.com -->

<!-- texexec --pdf --use=mediashow mediashow.xml -->

<rl:resourcelibrary xmlns:rl='http://www.pragma-ade.com/xml/schemas/reslib.rng'>

     <rl:mediaclip label='sample 1'>
         <rl:name>Quicktime Movie</rl:name>
         <rl:mime>video/quicktime</rl:mime>
         <rl:file>mediashow.mov</rl:file>
         <rl:picture>self</rl:picture>
         <rl:width>8cm</rl:width>
         <rl:height>6cm</rl:height>
         <rl:text>This movie was made while waiting for a plane transfer
         in San Francisco on the way back from TUG 2003 on Hawaii to
         Europe. Pier 39 is located is the Bay Area.</rl:text>
     </rl:mediaclip>

     <rl:mediaclip label='sample 2'>
         <rl:name>Shockwave Simulation</rl:name>
         <rl:mime>application/x-shockwave-flash</rl:mime>
         <rl:file>mediashow.swf</rl:file>
         <rl:picture>self</rl:picture>
         <rl:text>This simulation is made by Johan Jonker. This kind
         of animations goed under the names Flash and Shockwave.</rl:text>
     </rl:mediaclip>

     <rl:mediaclip label='sample 3'>
         <rl:name>Smil Presentation</rl:name>
         <rl:mime>application/smil</rl:mime>
         <rl:file>mediashow.smi</rl:file>
         <rl:picture>self</rl:picture>
         <rl:text>Here we see a one-picture slide show coded in SMIL. This
         picture is a downsampled 8 bit PNG version of the high resolution 24
         bit JPEG graphic; the viewer cannot handle the original.</rl:text>
     </rl:mediaclip>

     <rl:mediaclip label='sample 4'>
         <rl:name>MP3 Soundtrack</rl:name>
         <rl:mime>audio/mpeg</rl:mime>
         <rl:file>mediashow.mp3</rl:file>
         <rl:picture backgroundcolor='black'>mediashow.jpg</rl:picture>
         <rl:text>This is the soundtrack to a movie made at Pier 39
         in San Francisco. The quality is rather low because no high
         end equipment was used. We compensate this by showing a high res
         graphic.</rl:text>
     </rl:mediaclip>

</rl:resourcelibrary>

Hans