[pdftex] animated gifs in pdflatex documents?

Peter Schröder ps at cs.caltech.edu
Wed Dec 29 20:48:06 CET 2004

I am typesetting a paper in pdflatex. This will be viewable online (say
in Acrobat) but of course should also print in a predictable manner.
What I would like to do is include a brief animation. I could do that in
the form of an animated gif. Can I put such a beast (say with graphicx)
into the pdf and have it animate in Acrobat? What happens when I print
the document? Ideally I'd like to control which of the gif images is the
"representative" that should appear in the printed version. I realize
that I could to an animation with an external viewer and just have a
hyperlink in the pdf, but I need to produce a self contained pdf for
which external link dependencies are not acceptable (blind reviewing
process...).

On a related note. What I would REALLY like to do is put into the
document a small java applet. I don't believe that is possible. Or has
that changed? Basically I want to be able to publish in a self contained
manner a document which contains 3D data and an associated java viewer
to interactively (in something like acrobat) examine the data all the
while having the page of the paper up (and then have some decent print
behavior where the viewer area would print as one particular example
image). Am I out of luck?

peter