[pdftex] pdfeTeX: bad interaction of \pdfstartlink...\pdfendlink with \beginR...\endR

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Wed Dec 29 16:36:32 CET 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Vladimir Volovich wrote:

> "HH" == Hans Hagen writes:
>
>  HH> i played a bit with it and it looks like pdftex takes the wrong
>  HH> (horizontal) reference point; i get hyperlinks but they end up on
>  HH> the wrong side of the paragraph
>
> could you show the (plain pdfetex) code which produces the hyperlinks
> in RL mode?

in dvi only?

> BTW, Hartmut seems to be close to solving that bug already.

No, definitely :-( What i can do, is to have link boxes in RL text, even
several in a line. Nodes are swapped pairwise inside the reverse()
function, as soon as an end_link appears. But it's much more
complicated:

1. Links can be nested. Then the above approach fails, and a stack is
required to remember the right pairs for swapping.

2. If link text is wrapped around in RL mode, the rectangles go to the
wrong side (as Hans noted). And more weirdnesses... I anyway wonder how
RL is done. I thought paragraphs would look like:

LR LR LR...LR
LR LR

RL...RL RL RL
        RL RL

But here it's

RL...RL RL RL
RL RL

And the \parindent is always left? In short, no idea how to use RL.

3. And, maybe \pdfstartthread has a similar problem.

Regards, Hartmut