[pdftex] pdfetex can't find map files

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Dec 11 20:14:09 CET 2004

Hi,

CC: Patrick Gundlach

"George N. White III" <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca> wrote,
on ConTeXt release/install woes under distro-supplied tetex 2.02:

> Why not tell people which version(s) of tex _YOU_ use with each context
> update?  Of course the manual should reflect this version.  It might be
> easiest to simply include a .log file from building formats.  This would
> provide both version information and details of your directory structure.
> People who prefer to take the easy route can "clone" your setup.  People
> who insist on using context with other versions of tex can figure out what
> changes are required, and hopefully post configuration advice for others.

Probably the best advice for any Linux ConTeXt user out there is: immediately
de-install your distribution-supplied tetex, and get a fresh tetex-beta or
TeXLive. Asking Hans to tell you *exactly* which build of pdftex he uses
today is probably pointless, and I really doubt he has a 'clean' install
that resembles a tetex or TL. But perhaps it makes sense to include the
versions that are current on http://live.contextgarden.net ?

Greetings, Taco