[pdftex] pdfetex can't find map files

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Fri Dec 10 07:51:02 CET 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 02:12:35PM -0700, Matt Gushee wrote:
>   1) Is pdfetex supposed to be able to find arbitrary map files through
>      kpathsea?

Yes, but see below.

>   2) If the answer to the above is yes, which variable(s) in texmf.cnf
>      determine where pdfetex looks for the files? And if there are
>      alternatives, which is preferable?

The source code of pdftex 1.10b uses kpse_tex_ps_header_format of the
C-API of kpathsea for searching map files. This means that it searches map
files equivalent to
  kpsewhich -format='PostScript header'

The variables that need to include the search path are
  TEXPSHEADERS / PSHEADERS

> By the way, here's some version info:
>
>   tetex      2.02   (Arch Linux package)
>   pdfetex    pdfeTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-1.10b-2.1
>   context    2004-12-06 release

That tetex version does not use the new file locations defined by TDS 1.1.
So, I suggest that you move the files from fonts/map and fonts/enc (which
you have got by installing a new context version) somewhere to dvips.

Hm... Strange is that minstall.pdf dates back to 2001, so that explains
why it does not mention all this.

Hans, which is the right way for users to figure out how to install /
update context correctly?

Thomas