[pdftex] (no subject)

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Dec 8 18:49:15 CET 2004

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 12:03, ³Â Ö®³õ wrote:
> How can I do this:
>
> I want to generate a book which has 300 pages, but it is too big. Suppose
> that there are 5 chapters in the book, page 1 to 50 is chapter 1, page 51
> to 100 is chapter 2, page 101 to 210 is chapter 3, page 211 to 356 is
> chapter 4 and page 357 to 300 is chapter 5. Can I use some packages to
> pdfLaTeX my tex file into 5 pdf files, the pdf files' names are xxx001.pdf,
> xxx051.pdf, xxx101.pdf, xxx211.pdf and xxx357.pdf.

There are ways to include pdf files in a pdf(la)tex run. But I am curious why
you feel the need to break up the run.  AFAIK TeX in all flavors can handle
books with thousands of pages. And good editors, such as Vim, are similarly
not restricted. Worst case you could bring in each chapter with an \input
statement.

If you need to break up the file after typesetting for ease in transport I
suggest converting to PostScript (pdf2ps) and then using psselect to pick off
ranges of pages. Then you could convert the segments back to pdf format with
ps2pdf. I use the PostScript utilities that come with Ghostscript and with
Psutil all the time.

--
John Culleton

Short list of publishing/marketing books: