[pdftex] how to embed mp3 into pdf using pdfTeX?

h h extern pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Dec 7 00:21:17 CET 2004

Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> Thank you, Alexander.
> I was going to start writing (based on attachfile.sty) something which
> would do exactly what your movie15 package does. So you saved me a lot
> of time and effort.

beware: my experience is that embedding is not that stable and differs per
versions; also, there are dependencies on mime types that may differ per system
as well as well as dependencies on plug-ins and operating system file
associations. Attachments as such work ok, as do mp3 playback, but embedding is
bugged, so i wouldn't gamble on that. (actually, also sound support changed over
time, esp the timing and relation to the page etc). My guess is that those
features are added to pdf without proper testing.

(for instance, it's possible to add svg graphic but since they don't scale with
the document, it's useless; or, you can call up smil based presentations, but
there is no real standard in playback, or ...; a pitty)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE