[pdftex] Howto activate overprint (/knockout)

JEBs JEBs at shbe.org
Thu Apr 29 20:15:28 CEST 2004

I'm developing a PDF document which shall be printed by a professional
printing company.

The whole document has a light-yellow background so that I need to
activate (most times, but not always) the "black overprint" option as
well known/available in PS or PDF.

First I though it should be definable on color level but while searching
the whole web (and this ML) I couldn't find anything related which
helped me except PDF native codes (/op /OP /OPM ...).

Now I'm sure that I'm on the right way but guess that I do something
stupidly wrong.

The way I tried to get it working is:

----- snip ----- snip ----- snip ----- snip
\pagecolor....

\pdfobj{<<
/op true
/OPM 1
 >>}
\edef\opObj{\the\pdflastobj}
\color{black}
{\huge{\textbf{\pdfrefobj\opObj Test 5 6 7}}}
----- snip ----- snip ----- snip ----- snip

but it don't work. If I look into the PDF I can see the created object
as i.e. "8 0 obj ..." but it's never used ("8 0 R").
However I figured a lot with all the stuff like "\pdfliteral{<< /Type
/ExtGState /op true /OPM 1 >>}" too, but never got a working result :(.

Does anybody has an idea or knows a way ?

Thanks in regards
    JEBs