[pdftex] Help! pdfTeX: Get black squares (cursors) in @example text

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Apr 26 05:52:58 CEST 2004

On 26/04/2004, at 4:20 AM, John Culleton wrote:

> On Monday 19 April 2004 09:05 pm, pawcoo wrote:
>  Setting \overfullrule to zero
>> in plain is risky if You care about nice paragraphs :)
>>
>> Regards, Pawel
>
> Yes, my suggestion to let the text run into the margin was
> intended as humor. But there are situations such as when
> quoting computer program code (I think that was the
> original problem) where just killing the overfillrule is a
> better choice than reformatting the line and thus deviating
> from the original text. I am talking about a very small
> overflow of course.

Have you tried putting  \hss  at the end of the line ?
This can allow for a small overflow, without killing the
usefulness of the black-boxes. (This may cause processing to
pause in outer paragraph mode; but with program listings,
it'll depend upon the specific environment that you're using
  --- it won't be any good at all with \verbatim !)

Another way is to set the \hfuzz; e.g.  \hfuzz=2pt
means that black-boxes will not appear unless the overflow
is greater than 2pt.

But with program listings, which usually aren't read anyway,
  --- unless the reader is really, really interested ---
I find it convenient to just set the typeface to be smaller:
either  \small  or  \footnotesize  (in LaTeX).

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114