[pdftex] Help! pdfTeX: Get black squares (cursors) in @example text

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Apr 20 08:37:59 CEST 2004

On Monday 19 April 2004 01:34 pm, John Blevin wrote:
> In pdfTeX, when I include an @example/@end example of
> some source code, when the line is long (say, >70 chars)
> there is an annoying black square character (like a solid
> cursor) at the end of the line.  How to avoid them???
>
> This is with:
>     pdfTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-1.10b
>     kpathsea version 3.4.5
>
> Thanks!
>
> - John

This is a plain tex-ism. If a line can't be set properly
(overfull hbox) an ugly black slug is put in the margin to
let the typesetter know that TeX couldn't handle the line
as is. The width of this slug is specified in a dimension
called \overfullrule. This is by default 5 points. If you
make it 0pt then the slug disappears but the problem with
the line still exists.  Your line of over 70 characters
apparently exceeds the \hsize of your document.

I suggest breaking the line and indicating same with
something like a backslash,depending of course on the
source language you are quoting.

Or you can just set \overfullrule to 0pt and let the line
run into the margin.
--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers