[pdftex] Problems with pdftex version in teTeX beta

John Blevin blevin at lucent.com
Fri Apr 16 06:04:55 CEST 2004

Hello all,

I downloaded the latest beta of teTeX, in order to pick up a
more recent version of makeinfo (4.6) because was having problems
with makeinfo 4.5 in teTeX 2.0.2.  Unfortunately the makeinfo
4.6 didn't have the fix I'm looking for, but even worse, now
I'm getting new errors from pdftex:

! Extra }, or forgotten @endgroup.
<template> @unskip @multistrut }
                                @endtemplate
@doitemize ...emcontents {@bullet }@fi @let @item
                                                  =@itemizeitem
l.35 @itemize @bullet

Somehow it is having a problem with an @itemize / @end itemize
lines in my .texi file.  Any idea on this?  The pdftex version is

pdfeTeX (Web2C 7.5.2) 3.14159-1.20a-2.1-rc1
kpathsea version 3.5.2
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

As for the makeinfo, I'm going to try download makeinfo 4.7 directly
from the GNU texinfo site and see if that helps.  Incidentally the
issue with makeinfo had to do with not formatting things like
@samp{} correctly (e.g. not including the text in quotes).

Another question on texinfo:  In the makeinfo --html output, in
the menus, when I have

* node name::

Then in the HTML output, in my menus the menu item has a trailing
':' character at the end, it's kind of irritating.  But if you look
at the GNU texinfo online manual, it does not have the trailing ':'
in the menus (for those menu items with no description).  Could this
also be something that has been fixed with texinfo 4.7 - or, is
there some configuration they use to avoid the extra ':' characters?

Thanks!

- John