[pdftex] PSUtils equivalent for pdftex output.

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 22:34:44 CEST 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, John Culleton wrote:
> There is still the problem of dividing the even sides from
> the odds, which currently I do with psselect. My printer
> doesn't duplex so I use "barnyard" duplexing by printing
> the odd sheets in reverse order, flipping them over,
> reinserting them in the bypass tray and printing the even
> sheets, again in reverse order if I use the bypass feed.

Yes I understand. Strange, I thought pdfpages can handle including only
odd or only even pages but looking at the manual I can't see any way to
specify this using pages= option (and no special options for this). I cc'd
Andreas Matthias --- maybe he can consider adding a way to include only
odd or only even pages from the PDF files, since there is clearly demand
for this feature.

> > Btw, in the days when I was converting from PostScript to
> > PDF my tnk.pdf file (Hebrew Old Testament) used to be 9M
> > and now I generate it directly in pdflatex and the size
> > has gone down to just 6.4M, so there are a lot of
> > inefficiencies (unnecessary objects etc?) when using
> > PostScript and then converting to PDF. I would say always
> > generate PDF directly.
> >
> Interesting. What did you use for conversion---ps2pdf,
> Distiller or what?

ps2pdf. I never bothered finding out what exactly was the cause of this.
Although examining the PDF file "manually" should have revealed exactly
what is redundant compared to the PDF produced by pdflatex directly.

Kind regards
Tigran