[pdftex] PSUtils equivalent for pdftex output.

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 11:03:17 CEST 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>     > and I would prefer something that works with the output of
>     > pdftex, and not just pdflatex.
>
> pdfpages works with the output of ANY program which is able to produce
> PDF.  It even works with files produced by buggy Adobe programs.

I think what John assumed was that pdfpages package must be included in
the original .tex sources (and therefore implies they have to be also
written in pdfLaTeX). This is NOT the case, John.

All you need is to write a trivial driver file, like this gnt-book.tex:

\documentclass[pdftex,a4paper]{book}
\usepackage{pdfpages}
\begin{document}
\includepdf[pages={-}, signature=32, landscape]{gnt.pdf}
\end{document}

So, when the file "gnt.pdf" is ready (and produced by whatever means,
doesn't matter). I run pdflatex gnt-book.tex and it generates a new file,
gnt-book.pdf which contains gnt.pdf rearranged into signatures and with
two pages combined on a single physical PDF page (for printing A5 pages on
A4 paper).

There is a lot of interesting options in pdfpages and I am sure it can
handle what you need. However, if you find that some useful option is
missing, all you need is to email the author and ask for that option. The
author is a very friendly and competent gentleman!

Btw, in the days when I was converting from PostScript to PDF my tnk.pdf
file (Hebrew Old Testament) used to be 9M and now I generate it directly
in pdflatex and the size has gone down to just 6.4M, so there are a lot of
inefficiencies (unnecessary objects etc?) when using PostScript and then
converting to PDF. I would say always generate PDF directly.

Kind regards
Tigran