[pdftex] Increasing grouping levels

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 1 21:23:58 CEST 2004

> On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 18:04, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>
> > but in actual practice these things are pretty unusual.  my guess would
> > be that if you looked at the error traceback for the nesting levels,
> > you would see a closely repeated pattern.
>
> It appears when I try to generate a PDF from a 3/4Mo TeX file with many
> sections. When these big files are split, everything is fine...
> Every \begin is \end'ed, and all things like this.

it's nesting that counts, not whether they all match.  i still find it
difficult to believe that your document has 255 _real_ grouping
levels:

> > unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a traceback for grouping level,
> > as you can see from
>
> >   \documentclass{article}
> >   \setcounter{errorcontextlines}{999}
> >   \begin{document}
> >   \def\a{\begingroup\a}
> >   \a
> >   \end{document}
>
> There is no such recursive def in my source.

i didn't suppose there was; i was just demonstrating that there's no
traceback even though there are 255 nested functional calls.

however, it might be useful to know what the error message _does_ tell
you.

> The only big thing I see,

apart from the file itself ;-)

> is that I use package UCS...

it's possible that there's a bug in that, i suppose, but it could be
in anything.  perhaps inputenc from the 2003/12/01 latex could
supplant your need for ucs.sty, and perhaps thereby eliminate one file
from your checks.