[pdftex] Including \textcolor in metapost in pdf

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Sep 26 20:27:53 CEST 2003

At 18:40 26/09/2003 +0200, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
>I would like to include colored text in metapost, but dvitomp does not
>manage color.
>
>I saw solutions using ConTexT --- but I do not know ConTexT (not this
>year, maybe next year). I use only the mptopdf macros from ConTexT
>(loaded automatically by the pdfdriver).
>
>Do people out ther know how to do that ?
>
>(btw, my metapost is something like
>label(btex The answer is \textcolor{\teacheronly}{42} etex,(0,0));
>
>However, the color specification is in the dvi used as an intermediate
>format by mpost, just the dvi -> MP extraction does not work good.
>
>Remark: there seems to exist a patch on a spanish speaking page, but
>this is a patch in C, not web.

The following code can give you a clue on how to do this; keep in mind that
specials (used to switch color) get lost in mp!

\starttext

\setupcolors[state=start]

\startMPpage
   draw image
     ( draw btex The answer is etex ;
       draw btex { }42 etex shifted (xpart lrcorner currentpicture,0)
withcolor red ; ) ;
\stopMPpage

\stoptext

or if you need more of that:

\starttext

\setupcolors[state=start]

\startMPpage
   def append expr txt =
     draw btex \strut{ }\strut etex shifted (xpart lrcorner currentpicture,0) ;
     draw txt shifted (xpart lrcorner currentpicture,0)
   enddef ;
   draw image
     ( draw btex The answer is etex ;
       append btex 42 etex withcolor red ; ) ;
\stopMPpage

\stoptext

(the mp code should work with any-mp/tex)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl