[pdftex] PDFX3 Standard

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Oct 27 17:43:51 CET 2003

At 17:22 27/10/2003, Martin Schröder wrote:
>On 2003-10-27 11:01:07 -0500, William Adams wrote:
> > Isn't there a limit of 32,767 objects in a .pdf?
>
>Nope, thats 8 388 607. But dictionaries are limited to 4 095 entries.

Occasionally I run into limitations in the viewer (apart from bugs): a
couple of thousand colors (and esp transparencies) in one form for instance
can easily overflow some internal 'whatever' and then result in black
images; it may have to do with some resource stack.

One characteristic of a form is that its mediabox is a cropbox as well
(resulting in .5bp rounding errors because somehow internally the accuracy
is pretty low). It may happen that during flattening (or even inclusion)
this box is interpreted differently (or gets lost) thereby resulting in too
much image. Over time one learns how to deal with that kind of side effects -)

Hans