[pdftex] pdftex and Enfocus actionlist

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Fri Oct 17 17:36:52 CEST 2003

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 02:02:46PM +0200, Wolf-Dieter Tabbert wrote:

> i received composite pdfs from customer built with LaTeX with hyperref
> package, pdfTeX-1.10b.
>
> My job is to split the pages into color- and text components (for
> printing language exchange).
> I do the job with Enfocus PitStop actionlist for Acrobat 6. That's
> mostly run fine.
>
> One problem is text integrated in charts and graphics. PitStop recognize
> these elements (text and lines/graphic) only complete. I'm not able to
> choose text-elements.
> The actionlist than removes the whole chart and not only text.
>
> If i resaving the pdf via solvero (from onevision), the actionlist run
> fine. But that's not the way i want.

What is the problem, if you have a solution?

> So what do pdfTex with text in charts and graphics that PitStop is not
> able to see the text?
> Are there any parameter in pdf-output to change?

I do not know the tools you have meantioned, so I can only guess.
How are the graphics/text embedded by pdfTeX?
* png/jpeg bitmaps? Then the graphics and text cannot be
  distinguished on the PDF format basis. You would need
  an OCR program to detect the text in the bitmap.
* pdf? Here pdfTeX embeds the graphics page as xform object
  (object with /Type /XObject) into the document. Perhaps
  the PitStop tool has problems with this kind of structure.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>