[pdftex] distiller vs pdf(la)tex (not a flame war, just asking for info)

franciszek holop fred at pentacom.sk
Thu Nov 13 17:00:03 CET 2003

hmm, Martin Schröder said that
> On 2003-11-12 14:07:21 +0100, franciszek holop wrote:
> > i am just about to engage in a holy war with a word/distiller
> > man, but being as lame as i am when it comes to typography as
> > a science i would like to ask you what (if any) advantages does
> > pdf(la)tex have over adobe distiller (say 4.0).
>
> What are you comparing? pdftex is a complete typsetting system
> capable of producing pdf while distiller is only a ps->pdf
> converter.

i thought distiller provides a virtual printer driver you can
select in e.g. msword.  so your word document is "printed" into
a pdf file.  but i have never seen distiller.

my theory is, that such a document printed from msword thru this
virtual driver is inferior to pdftex's output, because the virtual
printer driver can't make up the kerning and other typographical
finessess that word can't do.  am i right?

i'd like to hear people who used both methods of generating pdfs...

-f
--
it is better to be hated than to be ignored.