[pdftex] pdf(pdflatex) vs ps(dvips) documents, crop marks, images

Elisabeth Baker Elisabeth.Baker at aplac.com
Wed Nov 12 10:41:32 CET 2003

Greetings,

I've seen some clear direction from this forum and it's very helpful.

I use pdflatex to make a4 documents for online use, but some of them are
also wanted for commercial printing, which means they need margins and crop
marks.

I tried simply using Melchior Franz' crop.sty, and I got beautiful margins
and crop marks, but only in the upper left corner of the visible pdf output,
which remains a4 sized!
Did I do something wrong?

I tried using dvips instead, but the graphics are almost all png.  Reinhard
clarified that, "If you want to use pdftex for pdf and dvips for ps you have
to provide two files for each picture, but this is usually no problem."  I
have enough pictures and documents that it's enough of a problem that I am
determined to avoid it, even though I have had good results from the
recommended ImageMagick.

Reinhard also says,

> Yes, of course you can convert the final pdf file (produced by pdftex)
> to ps using either acroread or pstoeps (which comes with xpdf).
> ...Just forget everything about ps until your document is ready.
> You can avoid all this trouble if you use pdftex and create the ps
> file from the final pdf file as explained above.

Okay, so now I am back to the original setup, and I can produce the original
pdflatex-compiled pdf files. I want to make pdf or ps files from them with
margins and crop marks.

I'll be grateful if you can help me (a) use crop.sty correctly to get a5
sized output with the a4 document in it, (b) add margins and crop marks to
the pdfs I've created for online use, (c) create ps files with margins and
crop marks from the pdf files, or (d) do something else to accomplish this
goal!

Best regards,
Elisabeth Baker