[pdftex] bookmarks and zooming with pdflatex + hyperref + acrobat reader

Jennifer Howlett rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue Nov 4 23:02:14 CET 2003

franciszek holop wrote:

> hello,
>
> i am struggling w/the following "problem":
> i would like to make pdf documents which upon opening
> in acrobat reader set their zoom to "Fit Width".
>
> please find attached the 2 examples.
> test1:  the hyperref package is not used.  when this document
> 	is opened, it is zoomed to the value specified in
> 	Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> Default Zoom
> 	which is fine.  (although it would be nice to instruct
> 	it to do so explicitly...)
>
> test2:  the hyperref package is used.  the documentation for hyperref
> 	says, that "bookmarks" is default false, and even get a warning
> 	when specifying it again, nevertheless it is necessary, else
> 	the bookmarks are opened and the document is scaled to
> 	"Fit in Window".  if "bookmarks=false" is given, the document
> 	is still scaled to "Fit in Window".
>
> how can i use hyperref and at the same time tell acrobat reader
> to zoom to "Fit to Width" and not show the bookmarks?
>
> also, does pdf(la)tex include primitives for specifying such
> goodies as open at page number x, zoom to y, or without hyperref
> it is not possible?  forgive my pdf barbarism..
>
> pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-1.10b (Web2C 7.4.5) (format=pdflatex 2003.8.18)
> and
> hyperref 2003/01/22 v6.73n Hypertext links for LaTeX
>
> -f

The mechanism pdftex itself provides for doing this is the
pdftex primitive \pdfcatalog

For example, I use

\pdfcatalog{
     /PageMode /UseNone
     } openaction goto page 1 {/FitH 840}

I don't know if there are pdflatex packages other than
hyperref that provide an interface to \pdfcatalog

No doubt hyperref does provide a method of getting
"fit width" instead of their default "fit in window".
(Personally, I wish they would change their default,
since "fit in window" invariably gives me something too
small -- but I suppose that just indicates that my
screen is too small, or my eyesight too poor. The most
annoying thing though, is when you have got the document
at the size you want in Acrobat Reader and then click
on a link to some other location in the document and
the zoom setting changes...)

Bob Howlett