[pdftex] Bold index entries with hyperref and makeidx?

Benjamin Deutsch Benjamin.Deutsch at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Wed May 21 13:56:12 CEST 2003

Hello,

I recently started using hyperref to add linked references to my
documents. I also use makeidx to create an index for the larger documents.
With index entries that have several associated page numbers, I like to
set the "defining" or "main" page number in bold, using

\index{word|textbf}

However, this breaks the hyperref mechanism, as I also discovered in
hyperref.dtx. But from what I've seen and read, it should be possible to
write a specialized macro to create a bold hyperlink in the index.

Unfortunately, I'm not personally fluent enough in pure TeX (yet) to
attempt this on my own. But I can imagine that several people have already
created workarounds for simple cases as this.

Can anyone provide me with or point me towards code that formats
hyperref'd index entries?

Thanks a lot,

  Benjamin