[pdftex] Fonts

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard at ms25.ath.cx
Mon Mar 31 01:49:46 CEST 2003

    > Hi, Could someone let me know how to let pdflatex know to pick
    > up fonts files (like .vf .tfm etc) from a local directory, as I
    > do not have admin permission to insatll them in
    > usr/local/... .

This question is is not pdfTeX specific.  It depends on the TeX
distribution you use.  I suppose that you are using teTeX because you
talk about /usr/local.  In this case you should run

     texdoc TETEXDOC
     texdoc kpathsea
     texdoc web2c

to see what to do.

    > Also, are .vf, .vpl, .tfm files sufficent to use
    > a new font or some other files like .sty are also required.  If
    > yes, from where could I download those?

No.  You need the "real" font.  This might be a .pfb, .pfa or .mf
file.  pdfTeX handles TrueType fonts as well, but with some
limitations.  The files you mention tell pdfTeX how to use a font but
not how to draw the characters.

Unfortunately, you usually have to buy the fonts, only a few are free.

If only the .sty file is missing, just try

    texdoc fntguide

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha			             Phone: +49-511-27060390
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover	                         mailto:reinhard at ms25.ath.cx