[pdftex] Download binary version.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Mon Mar 24 20:18:02 CET 2003

On Monday 24 March 2003 08:04 pm, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>     > However the new version does not recognize an embedded tif file
>     > as a file type. The old version handled the same code without
>     > error.
>
> TIFF support has been removed from pdfTeX recently.
>
> I recommend to install ImageMagick to convert bitmaps to PDF.
>
>          http://www.imagemagick.org
>
> The program you need is `convert'.  If it is already installed on your
> system, make sure that it is not older than 13 months.
>
> Converting all bitmap graphics to PDF is always a good idea, pdftex is
> much faster if it has to include pdf only.
>
> And if you write a Makefile that does the conversion and put the line
> \immediate\write18{make} at the top of your document, it is as
> convenient as including the bitmaps directly.
>
> Reinhard

Wish somebody had told me that last week! Anyhow I will do my current project
with the "old" pdftex I have and in the future create my little graphics in
Gimp as PS files which easily convert to pdf via Ghostscript or ImageMagick

Is it correct to state that the new pdfetex etc. will not handle any format
other than pdf? Are ;png files etc. also excluded?

BTW with modern computers speed is the least of my concerns.

Thanks for the heads up.

John Culleton